Thursday, June 14, 2012

Andrew's Egg Drop!

Andrew's final project for school this was creating a container that would hold an egg inside it and allow it to be dropped from the roof of his school (two stories up!) and remain intact. Andrew got it in his head that he wanted to make a soup can for his container. He has been working on this project for a few weeks and it turned out very nicely. He had to write a paper as well which was his least favorite part of the project. The actual drop itself is tomorrow morning. Hopefully his container and his egg will withstand the fall!


And for your reading pleasure, Andrew's egg drop report.

What is that dropping in the sky?  It’s a Campbell’s soup can that is for the egg drop.  The steps I took for making Campbell’s soup can were choosing a container and emptying the container, decorating the container, and filling the container with stuff for protection.  I’m pretty sure the egg in mine won’t break.
First, I had to choose either a bread crumb container or an oatmeal container.  I choose the bread crumb container instead of the oatmeal container.  Then I emptied the container out well.  Finally I clean the rest of the bread crumbs out of the container with my fingers.
Next, I covered the whole container with white paper.  Then I covered half the container with red paper and glued on the medallion.  The next part for decorating is then I wrote what is on a Campbell’s soup can.  That is a lot of writing!  Finally I spray painted the lid aluminum, to look like a lid of a Campbell’s soup can.
The last step is I rip up paper and tissue paper to put inside my egg drop container.  Then I put the paper and tissue paper inside my container and push it down a little.  Then I check to see if I need more paper and tissue paper.  That is easy!
I’d love to do the egg drop container again the same way I did it this time.  I’d take the same steps choosing the container and emptying it, decorating it, and filling it up.  It will be fun to watch it fall and see if the egg survived the fall.


No comments: