Saturday, June 2, 2012

Andrew's First Triathlon

This weekend I was participating in my very first triathlon. They had a kids triathlon running the same day and I thought maybe it would be fun for the boys to give it a shot too.


Andrew was very excited to give it a try. He has been asking me about it for awhile and was so excited for the day to arrive.


I thought we were going to have a deal breaker for Andrew the night before the race. I came home with his race packet and discovered that there was a swim cap he needed to wear during the race. I put it on his head and that is when he burst into tears. I think the cap felt funny, but even worse was the fact that he thought caps were only for girls. Lucy wears one at swimming lessons and the boys in swimming lessons almost never wear one. I finally gave Andrew the ultimatum that it was either the cap or not doing it at all. It is a safety thing for the kids to wear them and it really was a deal breaker.


It finally got through his head that this was really going to be a necessity so he decided the cap was worth it.


The triathlon had two different types of swim legs. One wave for kids who could swim and one wave for kids that really couldn't swim. Andrew opted to go in the wave for swimmers so he headed to the corral first.


I think he under estimated the temperature of the water and he did some swimming strokes until he just got too cold. He waded through the water the rest of the time. Most of the kiddos did that though.


Once Andrew got out of the water it was off to transition to get ready for the bike. This leg I had no worries about for Andrew. He loves riding his bike and does it often.


Off he goes!


After a super quick transition it was time for the run. Andrew did fantastic and came around the corner super fast!


Total time for Andrew's first triathlon was 16:31. He came in 23rd out of the 42 kiddos that did the triathlon.


He is so proud of himself! He even got a finishers medal for his efforts!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! Way to go Andrew!!