Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Party for Zane

It is almost impossible to believe that Zane is turning 5 years old this year. I know I feel this way every year and with every kid but honestly, it really is shocking to me. Time continues to fly on by and Zane has had an amazing year of growth and learning.

Much to Zane's chagrin, his birthday is the last in a LONG line of summer birthdays in our family. Starting with Andrew's birthday in July he gets to sit by patiently (and sometimes not so patiently) until it is finally his turn to celebrate. I mean come on, even mom gets to have her birthday before he does! How is that fair???

This year Zane insisted on two things: Star Wars and a pinata. In my quest to try and fulfill both those items I racked my brain for a cake and pinata idea. Zane's idea of a perfect cake was one with "Master Yoda" on it. Well, this momma is not quite that artistic but I figured that I MIGHT be able to handle a cake with a light saber or two. If my black decorating gel would have cooperated it would have been just about perfect. Certainly Zane thought it was neat and that is what counted.

While we were out getting party supplies Zane found this Darth Vader mask. He wore it for about half of the party so I suppose it was money well spent. He absolutely loved the mask.

Second order of business for the party was a pinata. Eric and I did our very best to create a light saber pinata. It was looking extremely neat too up until last night when we tried to paint it. Then it broke. A little duct tape and some sticks kept it usable for the party but it was not the artistic gem that I envisioned. Although I think the fact that it was filled with candy and kids got to bang it with a bat made it a winner with the birthday boy.

Zane made out a bit like a bandit in the present department. Lots of fun Star Wars stuff and some very cool other toys. He will be occupied for quite awhile to come.

Not only did Zane want the big #5 candle but he wanted 5 little candles as well. Andrew pointed out that it was more like Zane was turning 10 but that was fine. My little man got the birthday that he had been waiting for finally. Happy Birthday my little man!

1 comment:

Chris and Mandy said...

That little stinker is so cute :)