Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Tween


Little kid no longer. My Andrew is officially a tween. There have been several hints that we have  arrived at this stage. My first hint was that he started getting interested in music. I know a lot of kids get interested in music much younger than Andrew, but he really doesn't turn toward music in general. Even as a little kid he didn't really dance or bounce around too much when music was on. So for him to have an opinion about something to listen to is definitely different. I am really curious where this is going to take him from an interest standpoint. Currently he is into the Beattles. Can't say too much negative about that choice.

My second clue was when I was gone and I called to see how he and Zane were doing at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I talked to Zane first and it was all as I expected. Then Andrew got on the phone and it was very clear that his voice has lost it's little boy sound. I noticed it again when I came home. He was downstairs and it was very obvious that he was older than anyone else that was talking. Not that it is like puberty deep or anything, just not my baby boy sound anymore.

The last thing that has changed is a complete shift in how he is relating to me and Eric and other older kids. He is starting to identify more with the middle school kids in our youth group than with the kids that are Zane's age. He sees himself as more of a helper than a playmate. It is a fun transition, occasionally frustrating, but mostly really enjoyable. This morning Andrew helped Eric with Zane's soccer team. It was fun to see him in action.

He is such a sweet boy. I am utterly and completely filled with momma pride at what a nice boy he is and how sweet his spirit is toward people. Some girl is going to be super lucky to get him!

No comments: