Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Daylight Savings Time

I never used to mind Daylight Savings time until I had kids. Surprisingly it is not the spring change that bothers me so much but the fall one. Let me tell you why! I am very driven by the time on the clock for when I wake up. If the clock says 4 then I think yeah! a few more hours of sleep. In contrast when the clock says 8 I think ok, I guess I should get up. My children do not seem to have this same deal going. They sleep for the amount they sleep and then they wake up. Unfortunately, when the clock "falls back" that means the clock reads one hour earlier for me when they wake up. They do not take advantage of the fact that they can sleep for a whole extra hour like I want to! In the spring the opposite occurs and they seem to sleep until later because of the clock springing ahead. That is the change I vastly prefer (as long as we don't have to be up and somewhere) because then the happy clock tricks my mind into thinking that we are sleeping in. The transition only seems to last a few days but they are murder on me until we all level out again. I know that there are tricks to avoiding this whole thing but they seem like a lot more work than the solution is worth!

No comments: