Thursday, October 14, 2010

Can He Do It? Yes He Can!

Ever since Andrew returned to school Zane and I have been working on preschool learning pages. We practice counting, shapes, colors and letters. Specifically we have been working on letter recognition and sounds. My goal and plan has been to try and teach Zane to read at some point in time. I figure that he is 5 and while he may not be completely ready for kindergarten and all the structure it holds (which is admittedly not a lot) he is academically ready to start the process of learning to read.

My mom works at a school and several years ago gave me a set of primary phonics readers just to have something else around the house to use as the kids get ready to learn to read. Well, Zane has been asking for the last few weeks to practice reading and I am not one to stifle him that way so I thought we would give it a shot. Even though it has only been about 3 days of practice he is starting to get the process of how to read. Obviously this is not refined. But most of the words in the book are sound-out-able and Zane has done a fantastic job of sounding out the words. Of course he would rather guess at the word than sound it out but when encouraged to do it the right way he can make it happen. If nothing else it will allow him to be a superstar reader in kindergarten I hope!

No comments: