Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sleeping Bags are GREAT!

Eric and I are not fond of kids sharing our bed. The end result of it is that neither one of us sleep and the kids wake up earlier than usual with more energy than usual. A lose-lose situation in our book for sure! Lucy periodically decides she wants to sleep in our room. 2 am, 3 am, 4 am, none of these are strange or inappropriate times for her little eyes to fly open and decide that it is time to be up for the day. Eric and I disagree with her. Strongly. So over the years we have come up with a wonderful solution. The sleeping bag.


The sleeping bag in our room is on Eric's side of the bed on the floor. It lays there most nights unfolded and ready for a body to slip into. Both Zane and Lucy take advantage of the sleeping bag but recently Lucy has taken the sleeping bag to a whole new level. Two nights ago I got up for one of my nightly potty trips and when I came back to bed I heard snoring. Loud snoring that was neither Eric nor the dog. My getting up and coming back to bed woke Eric up enough that he rolled over and said "Is someone sleeping in here?" I told him that I didn't know but my guess was either Zane or Lucy.


Sure enough the next morning there was the rustle and bustle of a little girl getting up and stretching and then heading downstairs. I have no idea how long she was sleeping in our room for. No idea. Apparently Eric and I slept right through it. But that is ok. She mostly doesn't need us in the nighttime, she is just looking for some company. I am interested to see how all this is going to work when her and Gwen share a room. Hopefully Gwen will be plenty of company and she will stop her nighttime visitations. Although if she does continue with them not waking us up is a pretty alright way to go!

1 comment:

MB said...

What a great word picture! We are pretty much the same about bed-joiners - our kids were kickers and sideways sleepers. We came to the same solution, although it did not involve a sleeping bag, but the kids dragging their bed covers down and setting up on our floor. During power-outages and storms it was a given that we would all be camped out in our room. What fun memories you've brought back.