Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Little Fishies

The kids have been doing swimming lessons for the past few weeks and I just now managed to get the camera and the kids to the pool all at the same time! It is so fun to watch the kiddos progress and learn how to swim. And they think it is one of the most fun activities out there.

Lucy is a fish. Plain and simple. There has not been a nervous or timid bone in her body about getting into the water and going for it. She LOVES her goggles. And her teacher. And pretty much everything we can mention about swim lessons. I don't know that she is floating on her own yet but I see her progressing through the levels at a pretty decent clip.

Zane has made AMAZING progress since the last time he took lessons. I credit part of his success to his teacher Bridget. Bridget is the sister-in-law of a friend and someone we have seen at lessons in the past (her kids attended lessons the last time Zane took them). So I think simply recognizing her and knowing she is a mommy has made a world of difference with my Zane. He has been putting his face in the water and using his arms and legs to do the strokes. Major progress from the last time we did lessons where he goofed around most of the time. I am very interested to see how he does when the report cards come out on Thursday.

It has been a very long time since Andrew has had swimming lessons. I am guessing at least a year and since then he has graduated to the Beginner level class rather than the Preschool level. It is quite different having him in the older class. They are expecting him to do a lot more than the Preschool level did and he is thriving on it. The teacher has had them swim the length of the pool as well as back and forth across the deep end. Andrew is doing very well and has impressed me with how much he has retained from his lessons last year. The only thing he still needs to work on is his diving. He ends up with a pink belly more often than he would like. Those suckers hurt!

So where does Gwen fit in with all this? She is a happy observer on the sidelines. The first couple of lessons she tried to strip down when the rest of them did but recently she has been quite content to just sit and watch. Playing with the water on the pool deck is a big thrill too when she finds a second that I am not paying super close attention.

All in all swim lessons are good. I wish that I could do them with the kids all the time but it is a time drain and we have that pesky one activity at a time rule at our house and the boys wanted to play baseball. So. One more session this winter and we will hang it up for awhile longer. But it is nice to see them being so competent in the water!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Great pictures! I love the "one activity at a time rule". I think I will adopt that one. Gwen looks ready to join in on the fun. How old do they have to be to go in without the parent in the class?

Little Blessings said...

They have to be 3 to go without a parent. Lucy just barely made it. Her class started the day after her birthday. And after I posted that picture of Gwen I realized it must look like she is miserable all the time which she really isn't. And the one activity at a time thing is a sanity issue. I can't have them going 30 different directions all at the same time. I would lose my mind.

Ms. Leigh said...

I hope Booker loves it as much as your kids do. We got him some goggles and he cannot wait to wear them in the water.

I think I will be the mommy chauffeur.... since my parents wouldn't let me do more then one activity. I am kinda rebelling away from that! But I will say 3 at a time is tooo much.