Thursday, March 31, 2011

Reid Isaiah: A Delivery Story

I am a few days later than I like to be to post this but Reid Isaiah finally decided to make his appearance on Tuesday, March 29th! It was about time too. I was just about ready to croak I was so full of baby. Here's what happened:

I had my 40 week doctor appointment Monday morning. I was tired and chock full of baby. When my OB measured my belly it was measuring at 44 weeks pregnant. I started to get concerned because I thought that was bigger than I had measured with Zane. And he was a very healthy 9 pounds 10 ounces. My OB did all that she could do to encourage labor to start and sent me home with a voluntary induction date of Friday April 1st. I was relieved to have a end date in site and settled in to either wait it out until Friday or have this little man sometime in between.

When I got home I took a nice walk around the neighborhood with the boys and Lucy (Gwen was napping) and started to have some really irregular contractions that continued into the evening. The contractions were a bit uncomfortable but due to their irregularity I knew we were not at official go mode yet. I went to bed around 10 and crossed my fingers that I would wake up at some point in time during the night in labor.


Sure enough at around 1:15 I woke up with some contractions about 4 minutes apart. I laid in bed through a few of them and then when they hadn't let up after about 20 minutes I decided to get up and pace around through my downstairs. As I had hoped for I felt the contractions get stronger and a bit closer together. Right around 2:40 I decided to get Eric up and call my mom for her to come over. Mom got to the house around 3:15 and Eric and I zoomed off to the hospital.


Sitting in the car was not exactly comfortable and it also spaced out my contractions a bit, which concerned me. Although I figured I could always walk a bit at the hospital and get them going stronger again if I needed to. Fortunately the triage people took one look at me and figured I was staying even before they checked me. Once they gave everything a peek they said I was 6cm dilated and 100% effaced. I was staying and we were going to have a baby boy SOON!

Since I have that nasty GBS I elected to have an epidural right away. They got all set up and got the meds going so I was quite comfortable right away. I laid down and took a little rest for about an hour and then played on Facebook. It was fun to tease everyone with information about the delivery. Eric and I were quite amused the entire morning. At about 8:15 the nurse came in to start my second bag of medicine and the doctor broke my water. I got to sit up then and actually try and get my body to cooperate with the whole labor process. Around 9:15 I got really shaky and called for the nurse. The nurse checked me out and called for the doctor and they got the room set up for delivery.


It only took 3 sets of pushes to get Reid out. Which is somewhat of a miracle since he was 10 pounds 4 ounces and 21 inches long. A LARGE baby by just about everyone's standards. Everything went great with the delivery though. The nurses were all shocked at how large he was and how easy the delivery went considering. I was told I could come back and request them anytime. Apparently I am a good patient.

Up Next: Reid Meets the Family

3 comments:

Kelly said...

He is such a husky guy! I am so glad things went smoothly this time. Welcome to the world Reid! Good Job Mom! I greatly enjoyed the play by play via Facebook, by the way!

Amber said...

he's such a handsome guy, and a great birth story.

Tamika said...

I found your blog while just surfing the 'next blog' option on top of mine and of course became enthralled because of the fact you have 5 children. I too am a Mum to 5! :) Then I HAD To comment on this post because my 3rd child was 10lb 4oz and 21" long - oh, to look at the picture of your 'little' Reid just brought back so many memories!! What a blessing! Congrats on your little man and beautiful family! :)