Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Battle of the Ponytail

Lucy is extremely hot and cold about getting her hair done. It is just one more area of her life that she and I clash on. I remember loving to get my hair done. I would bring my mom hair ties and a comb and ask for all kinds of stuff. French braids, ponytails, pig tails. You name it and my mom got it done. And this went on until I was in high school. I just got taller.

Lucy occasionally will go on a streak where she wants me to do her hair in the morning. Which is great! It keeps the hair out of her face and mouth and it keeps it cleaner and above all, less tangled. Most days though it is a struggle to get her to let me brush it at all. I have been known to wrestle her to the ground and brush her hair but it is certainly not my favorite thing to do.


This morning was another day that Lucy did not want anything done with her hair. I hadn't done anything with it yesterday and since we were going places today I wanted to get it done. I told her to pick what she wanted. She was silent. So I put it up in one small half ponytail just so it wouldn't be a bother and it would stay out of her face. Usually when I do her hair these days I use one of my hair elastics. They are softer and don't grab the hair. But they are also very easy to pull out which Lucy will do when she is grumpy and opinionated about her hair. Pretty much the mood she was in today. I didn't want to do her hair over and over again so I used an elastic of Gwen's. These elastics are much closer to real rubber bands. They grip the hair and are difficult to get out pain free.


I finished Lucy's hair up and left to go get something done with Reid. I came back and this is what her hair looked like. I can only imagine that she was trying to pull it out and it didn't work. I asked her if she wanted me to fix it and she said no. So I left it. We got in the car to go to class and suddenly she wanted it fixed. I pulled it out and redid it quickly. It looked sloppy but at least better than whatever she had done. I don't really know who won that fight though. I think it is entirely possible that neither of us did.

1 comment: