Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

Morning with Lucy can be quite the roller coaster. She is opinionated. Very, very opinionated. Almost everything is a struggle if it is not her idea. Usually I do not engage her unless absolutely necessary. The past two mornings have been a perfect example.

Yesterday I asked Lucy if she wanted to go potty and get dressed. She said yes to the potty and no to getting dressed. No problem. I would just get her dressed later. An hour later it was time to go take Andrew to the bus stop. Lucy wanted to come but since she wasn't dressed and Andrew and I were literally walking out the door, I told her no. Lucy proceeded to melt down and try and leave the house with us anyway. I took her back in the house. She came out again. I took her back into the house and made it to the bus stop with Andrew. When I came back to the house I told Lucy that if she wanted to go to the bus with me she needed to get dressed in the morning when I gave her the chance. She nodded that she understood and we went on with the rest of the day.


This morning I asked Lucy the same thing. Did she want to go potty and get dressed. She looked at me and said NO! Then I saw her pause and think through the implications of saying no. Then she said YES! I want to go to the bus with Andrew. All went well and she got to come to the bus stop. It is such a fun process to get a girl to want to be compliant.

No comments: