Monday, May 16, 2011

I Shouldn't Know How to Spell Pneumonia


Gwen has had a horrid cough for several weeks. It was part of her last cold and it just would not stop. Friday night she started running a fever (or at least it was finally noticed by me) and it has been pretty constant since then. I decided last night that if she woke up with a fever again in the morning that I would take her in to the doctor and see what was up.

Sure enough Gwen woke up with a temperature and I took her in to see our wonderful pediatrician. After her initial checkup we discovered Gwen had an ear infection. The doctor also heard crackling noises in Gwen's lungs. So off to get an x-ray we went. Gwen was terrified of the x-ray. A very nice nurse held Reid and watched the rest of the kiddos while I went in the room with Gwen. I was so thankful that I was not pregnant because I don't know if they would have gotten Gwen to cooperate at all or if they would have had to pin her down to get the images. She screamed and sobbed any time anyone came near her. She didn't even want me to do anything with her but I at least got her in the gown and the lead drape around her tummy. Two quick pictures and we were done. Gwen a little traumatized and me just thankful that I had taken her in.

The eventual diagnosis was bacterial pneumonia. We were given a stronger antibiotic to combat the ear and the pneumonia. I will take Gwen back in a couple of weeks to get rechecked. Part of me is a bit nervous about the whole pneumonia thing. I mean Andrew had it and that was a horrid experience with the c-diff and all. I know it had nothing to do with the pneumonia either. It was all the antibiotics but still my crazy momma mind is going in circles. I am just very thankful that Miss Gwen will be feeling better soon. And I am praying we can be done with pneumonia at our house for a LONG time!

No comments: