Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pumpkins, Bats and Spiders OH MY!!!

I try to decorate cookies with the kids at least twice a year. Always at Christmas and usually at Halloween. I have some cute Halloween cookie cutters that I bought when I was in college. There is really only one time of year to use them so I have to take advantage of it. Generally I try to do all activities of this nature while Eric is at home. It saves me a huge headache and gives me another set of hands and eyes to make sure fingers are not being licked in between sprinkle applications. (I may want to share these with people who don't appreciate toddler germs!) Since Eric has been doing some daytime work it was up to me to make this happen if it was going to happen at all.

To keep me sane I gave very specific instructions about finger licking. Any sight of it and they were done helping. Period. No second chances were allowed. To help keep little fingers out of mouths I gave everybody their own bowl of sprinkles and a baby spoon to apply sprinkles. It seemed to work. I didn't see any finger licking violations and Zane is usually a regular offender.

I was a bit worried about Lucy helping. She is big enough that she really wants to help but too little to fully understand what we are doing. Fortunately I gave her one frosted cookie and some sprinkles and that kept her occupied the whole time. Of course she ate the sprinkles and licked the frosting off the cookie but that was ok. One cookie certainly wasn't going to hurt her!

All in all it was a fun activity. Maybe I will try it again at Christmas. Or maybe I will just plan it better and make Eric help me!

3 comments:

Ms. Leigh said...

NICE!
Or maybe I can come over and we can do them together again.

Little Blessings said...

That would be fabulous. Maybe Booker will let you help this year LOL.

Ms. Leigh said...

Maybe, he is rather clingy at times. Today he decided he had to lay on me for about 4 hours this morning. But then was good the rest of the day. SO weird. BUT I am sure he could sit in a high chair and be entertained at the least.