Sunday, October 21, 2007

Pumpkin Carving


Each of us is standing behind our very own creation!

Today we introduced Crystal to the art of pumpkin carving! She was completely disgusted by the pumpkin guts and will more than likely be sore tomorrow from scraping the pumpkin out. It did not help that the one she picked was possibly the toughest pumpkin I have ever seen. It was really hard to pierce the skin with a knife and the insides were very thick! Right now she is complaining that her shoulder hurts and I think mine would be sore too if it had taken me an hour just to scrape out the guts. She also has no plans to ever carve a pumpkin again. I think that the fun of it was lost in all the work. Since it is not a tradition in Hong Kong, she is going to pretend to be ignorant in the event of any children ever asking her about it! I think that might be a wise decision!

As you can see from the picture we carved four different ones this year. Andrew was very particular about what his face looked like and he also insisted that his have ears just like him. Unfortunately, the picture does not show off the cute pumpkin ears.

Zane wanted his pumpkin carved but he didn't seem to care what it looked like so Mom got to just make up a face for it. Apparently he was quite impressed with the results.

I am tired. I scraped out and carved 3 pumpkins in about 2 hours. Eric (lucky guy) managed to be working a Seahawks game today and missed out on all the fun/work involved in this activity. I don't think that he minds the project, he would just rather be a viewer of the results that a participant in the activity. Next year I am going to time this better so that I can be sure to have a helper. Unfortunatly Andrew can be quite insistent about pumpkin carving when the pumpkins are sitting on the front porch. It was easier for me to just do the project by myself that to fight with him for a whole day about waiting to carve the pumpkins. I am choosing to pick my battles and this was not one worth fighting in my opinion!

No comments: