Monday, July 21, 2008

Making it work with Zane

Zane is my difficult child. Not only is he the one who is stubborn and ornery most of the time, he is also the least affectionate of my kids. Even when he was a tiny baby he didn't really seem to like being held. As soon as he was able to do things independently he refused help. He must be way past the end of his rope to ask for help now. Because of all this he and I have had a difficult time. I just don't know what to do with him half the time and it seems as though just being a stinker is his favorite activity. But in the last few days we have been making progress. I will ask him if he wants me to do criss-cross applesauce on his back and he almost always says yes. This ultimately fulfills my need for him to snuggle (he will sit on my lap while I do it) and it seems to fulfill his need for attention. We also play a game where he "roars" at me like a lion. "Scares" me and makes me cry until he hugs me to get me to stop. Then the process starts all over. It seems like he is in more agreeable spirits after a few rounds though and not quite as into everything. Zane wants attention and he goes about getting it in a very naughty way. I get to be more creative in my play with him too. We are making it work but my thinker is getting a definite workout!

1 comment:

joanna said...

That is great that you have found a way to bond more together. Each child comes with their own difficulties, don't they! Good for you for figuring out how to get along together. Levi has been really into everything lately and I think we weren't giving him enough one on one time. Today I tried to play a bit more (I am NOT good at this) and though the house was a huge pit, it seemed to help him not get so ornery. Oh the two-year-old stage!