Thursday, December 3, 2009

Progress


Zane, Zane, Zane. Some days I wonder if I will ever be able to say that he is an obedient child. Yesterday I had a really good moment with Zane. I feel like sometimes I only refer to the hard times I have with this one in this blog, so I am making a special effort to post this story of his super wonderfulness. Anyway, after coming home from some shopping I needed to do several things very quickly. I had to change Lucy's diaper and get her into bed for a nap and I also had to go pee. Not very glamorous but all necessary. As a side note, have you ever noticed that peeing is one of the last things you do when you are running around busy with your kids? I have. Sometimes it will be an hour before I find the time to take care of that specific need. But I digress.

Gwen was grumpy and fussy in her car seat. I was busy doing the above and didn't have the time to sit and hold and nurse her like she wanted. So I asked Zane to talk to her and keep her happy while I got the other things taken care of. Zane grumbled a little (still working on the willingly and happily helpful bit) but then went and amused Gwen while I took care of the stuff I needed to do. I heard him downstairs chatting at her and keeping her from screaming her head off. This is a major step of progress for him!!! Usually he would fuss and whine and then just go do something else causing me to get after him for disobeying. This instance though he made a wonderful and fabulous choice to be helpful! I was so thankful and gave him lots of snuggles and played puzzles and Thomas as thanks. Then, to completely cement the importance of the good behavior, I bragged about it to Eric while Zane was standing there. Nothing like telling someone else what a wonderful job your child did within the child's hearing. Kids light up like a Christmas tree when they hear good about themselves. Progress is being made. I see a helpful boy in my future!!!

1 comment:

Ms. Leigh said...

Ah, you know I have thought he is a good kid, I know a bit stubborn but heck, he is his own person which means he is a little leader in the making. I know he has you guys pulling your hair out a lot but he is learning all the while! I think he is a sweety!