Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Trapping the "SH"

Today Andrew had his very first speech therapy session. Of course he didn't bother to mention it until about 7:15 this evening so I tried to pump him for details as much as possible in a short amount of time before bed. I guess they worked on his "sh" sound. Andrew mentioned something about playing a game with a fishing pole and catching fish. But the amazing thing was that he was telling me about it and actually saying the "sh" sounds at the beginning and ends of words correctly. I almost burst into tears. My little man who is so unintelligible most of the time (and especially to other people) could be understood. It was amazing. He was trying really hard to say it right, I could see his brain really working to make his mouth be in the proper position. While I was giving him a bath we talked about how he knew to make the sound and he told me that he has to keep his tongue in his mouth and trap it with his teeth. Sure enough that is how to make the sound. (Try it yourself) I was very proud. Eric and I aren't supposed to work with him at all until given the ok by his instructor (probably about a month) but it was WONDERFUL to hear him make a sound correctly. I will keep you all posted as the improvements keep rolling in!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

So cool! I love how much progress was made in ONE session! I would have cried too. I like the description of how to make the "sh" sound. I tried it and it does work! Good Job Andrew!

Amber said...

YAY! And I totally tried the "sh" as I was reading and you are so right. Prayers that he continues on in the right direction.

Little Blessings said...

I think that is the coolest thing about speech therapy. They Speech/Language/Pathologist actually knows what to tell the kids to do to be successful. Eric and I have tried to show him but honestly we don't know how we even make the sounds. Just that we do. I suppose that is why people actually get degrees in that sort of thing! :)