Monday, August 24, 2009

4 Ring Circus

Doctors appointments with 4 children can be a bit busy. All my kids like going to the doctors office and chatting with our pediatrician. She very tolerantly listens to all they have to say. Today was supposed to be Zane's 4 year well child check and Gwen's weight check and PKU blood draw. Well, I had to add Andrew onto the days activities because he has been peeing about 18 times a day for the past week and it is enough to make me crazy. I worried that he had a bladder infection so I thought since we were in the office I might as well get it checked out. While we were there I also needed to get Zane and Lucy's iron level checked for our WIC eligibility. This was going to be a fun and exciting trip.

After running a smidgen late we got checked in at the office. The nurse called Gwen back to get checked at exactly the same time as Andrew was being handed a cup for the lab to give a urine sample. Eric took Andrew to the potty and I took Gwen back with Lucy and Zane. Gwen weighed in today at 9# 11.5 oz. She is doing great and has more than exceeded expectations for weight gain. When I grabbed Gwen out of her bucket seat though she was ridiculously poopy and had to have her whole outfit changed. I was just glad I had extra clothing with me. It is not unheard of for me to have nothing with me at all. I am just that type of mom. Eric and I joke that one of these days we will be prepared parents. Maybe this is the kid for the responsibility to kick in!

After getting Gwen taken care of we headed back out to the waiting room. The MA called Zane back and started his appointment. Current statistics:

Height: 43" 95%
Weight: 45 # 4 oz 96%

Still proportionate. He is just going to be a big boy. They did Zane's hearing test and eye test. I hear from the nurse that he was very uncooperative. No big surprise there at all. Mostly he was just in a rare mood of silliness. I try to not to be too annoyed with it. It is an attention devise that works. I wish he wouldn't need to work for the attention that hard. I will be happy when Andrew gets back to school. It gives me extra time to be with Zane and do things with just him. Little sisters will nap and it is going to be great for some mommy/boy time.

After the doctor finished with Zane, Andrew's lab results were in. He does not have a bladder infection. Apparently there is such a thing as benign urinary frequency which means that he is just going a lot because he is stressed about something. Usually it is something like worry about school or some change at home (bringing home a new little sister maybe?). It is nothing to worry about and should resolve itself in a couple of weeks. Until then we just have to ride it out. It was very reassuring to know there wasn't something really wrong with him.

Our final stop for the day was back at the lab for Gwen's PKU test and Lucy and Zane's iron test. Lucy and Zane got called back first. I gave Zane the option of going first and he deferred to his sister to be the guinea pig. Such the little man he is, ha, ha. Anyway, Lucy did amazing. Finger was pricked and blood squeezed out. All without a tear. I think she was fascinated by it more than anything. Then it was Zane's turn. The finger was poked and the blood squeezed. He was doing fine. Then they bandaged it up with some gauze and a band-aid and apparently then he realized that it hurt. What followed was a trip back out to the car and a good 15 minutes of screaming about how it hurt. Fortunately WIC only requires that every few years so this should ideally be the only time we ever have to do it. While I was in the van with Lucy and Zane, Eric took Gwen in for her PKU. She did great and didn't even cry. Now people can stop poking my babies for awhile.

All in all it was an absolute circus today. It is so much easier if we only have to take one or two in to the office at a time. I think it is more fun for them too. They think it is a special treat to have some mommy and daddy time all to themselves. We should be done for awhile though. Hopefully everyone will remain well and we can say goodbye to the office for at least another couple of months!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I love how Zane is almost a square! He is going to be so nice and tall, that is so lucky! Gwen is gaining so well, I think you are putting out half and half! Great job Mommy!

Little Blessings said...

I usually do put out half and half. When I do end up pumping and put it in the fridge it separates to a whole lot of cream and a little bit of skim. There is a reason why my kiddos are so plump and adorable as babies ;)

Ms. Leigh said...

you know that is funny, mine was more skim like then cream. No wonder I have a scrawny child. ;)

Oh and you are a brave women taking 4 kids to do a multitude of things at the clinic.

Little Blessings said...

Brave or stupid. A valid argument could be made for either ;)

Eric said...

Enough hooter talk ladies..