Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Meet Gwendalyn Lily

Being overdue with a baby when you have never gone past your due date is NOT a fun time. I have been desperately trying to get this kid out for about 2 weeks and she just wasn't cooperative. However either my body thought it was time or all the walking I did on Saturday worked because at 1:20 am early Sunday morning my contractions started. I had been contracting all afternoon on Saturday but they were erratic, 6 to 10 minutes apart and when I called the triage nurse to see if she thought it worth it for me to come in she laughed and told me no. I needed to wait until they were 3 minutes apart. I said ok (and thought that she was an idiot) and decided to wait it out. By the time I went to bed they were spaced out even more and it was probably a good thing that I didn't go in. I am sure they would have sent me home. However, once my contractions woke me up in the night I was pretty confident that we were a go!

Eric and I called Alice (his mom) to come over and be here with the kids while they slept. She got here right before 3 and off Eric and I raced to the hospital. We got checked in and checked my progression. I was 6 cm dilated with a bulgy bag. When I told them I was Group B Strep positive they really flipped out and started talking about slowing down my labor so we could get both doses of antibiotics in. After the fastest triage visit I have ever had (45 minutes) we went down to the room and waited for my favorite person in the whole world, Mr. Anesthesiologist. He got into the room and gave me the best epidural of my life! It was absolutely perfect. I felt zero part of my contractions but still could feel pressure and an urge to push. Lovely! After getting me settled it was time to sit down and wait. I had Eric call my mom about 5 and she got to the hospital about 6. About 7:30 I started getting a lot of pressure. I mentioned it to the nurse and we decided that it would be best to start my antibiotics as close to the mark as possible. She got the antibiotics in the room and hooked up. We started running then right around 8 and they finished just before 8:15. About 8:20 I started feeling like I needed to push. However the doctor was monitoring another patient who was having some issues and he didn't want to deal with my delivery and this sketchy patient at the same time. I knew I had be close though because the need to push was almost unbearable. Finally the nurse checked me and told me I was almost complete. I just had the tiniest about of anterior lip left. She ran to get the doctor and when he got in the room the lip was gone and it was time. Water got broken (I swear, I must have amniotic sacks of steel) and the need to push was overwhelming. In fact it was so overwhelming that I didn't push. Miss Gwen and my uterus decided to work as a team and push together. I think there were 3 contractions. The first one she crowned, the second her head was out and the third the rest of her body came. I may have given the tiniest of pushes to help her shoulders. It was the weirdest and coolest sensation I have ever felt.

Miss Gwen was out and weighed, 8 pounds 12 ounces, 21 inches long! My lightest and longest yet! My recovery would be a whole different post. I will probably put it on my other blog though. It is kinda graphic and not entirely kid appropriate and since I try to keep this one all about the kids I will just tell you there were some complications in the afternoon and you will just have to wait until I get to that post to hear about them.

Miss Gwendalyn Lily is finally here and she is absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea who she looks like other than herself. She has an adorably dainty nose and eyes that I think will eventually turn brown. I could be wrong but you never know. She also has a TON of dark brown hair. We will have to wait and see if my mom's prayers come true and she has curls like my dad. That would be adorable.

I find it very interesting that when she was born she was exactly how I pictured her being. I have these preconceived notions about what certain names should look like and in my mind a Gwendalyn has brown hair and brown eyes. Well, it looks like it is going that way which is kinda neat. Lucy's, on the other hand, are supposed to have blonde hair and blue eyes. :)

A daddy with his newest little lady.

Coming next: Gwen meets her siblings!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I compared her pics last night to Lucy's and she does look different! I am shocked by all that dark hair, she is so sweet and smooshy! I was also shocked by how much Andrew and Zane changed in a year and a half! Especially Andrew looks totally different now, completely not a little kid anymore! I can't wait to meet her, I will be home on September 29th till October 15th and hope to see you all then! Good Job on delivery Sam! I am very proud of you and Eric, you make such a great team!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and your newest addition. I have the perfect baby card for miss Gwen. Love you and get lots of rest!!!

Amber said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful.