Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rock Climbing Wonder Boy

While we were in Whistler we went to this thing called the Adventure Zone. We let the boys ride on this super cool luge sled track that you go zooming down. I rode the first time with Zane and Eric rode with Andrew. I have no idea how fast I was going. I just know that I ended up dumping the sled on a curve and riding the brakes the rest of the way down. I am not at my best going fast or sliding. Kinda a wuss that way. Eric on the other hand fought Andrew to avoid using the brake the whole way down. When he came around the clocking curve they were going 31 MPH. Too fast for me but Eric and Andrew seemed to love it. The next day Eric rode it again with Zane and he only went 30 MPH. He was quite disappointed but Zane seemed to think it was pretty cool after the lame-o turn he had with me.

That day in Whistler was weird. Zane ended up with a fever and we went back to the condo a little early so he and Lucy could nap. As soon as he went down though Eric and I took Andrew back to the Adventure Zone to do some more stuff. Most of the stuff was too advanced for Zane and rather than fight with him about what he could or couldn't do we just snuck Andrew away for some alone with the parents time. He had a lot of fun. He really liked the rock wall and did amazing at it! I think he impressed the lady helping him because he had no fear of falling. He trusted the rope completely. That makes her job much easier I am sure. Earlier that day there was a little girl who totally refused to repel down the wall and they had to send someone up to get her. Anyway, he decided to do the hardest wall his very first time and the medium difficulty one his second time.

Climbing

Climbing

At the top!

After the rock wall we took him to the "Kiss the Sky" bungee trampoline. He liked this activity although I think it scared him more than the rock wall.

Finally he went into the "Spiderweb." He wasn't quite tall enough to do this one easily and he wore himself out a lot. He did make it to the top though. It looked like fun but a lot of work.


After all that hard work we headed into the Village to go for some gellato. LOVED IT! I hadn't ever had it before and it was wonderful. So much smoother than ice cream and I could eat the varieties that I got because they were all lactose free. (Lactose makes Lucy puke) I couldn't help but think that my dad would have loved it.

I think Eric and Andrew are going to start playing at this rock climbing thing. We are going to see where they will let little kids do it in the area. Sometimes places are funny about kids doing it but he loved it so much and talked about it a lot that we think it could be a fun activity for some daddy/boy bonding.

1 comment:

joanna said...

Move over Spiderman! I think this is just the right thing for skinny kids (such as Andrew and Kenzie)-- she also loves to climb and it is one of the only things we have found (so far) that she is better at than her big brother! I think there are some places in Everett maybe Cascade Crags? Is that still open?
Anyways, has Andrew started Rockets soccer? Maybe this weekend? Josh has his first football jamboree this weekend. I am nervous for him as he has been having some issues making "contact" now that they moved him to outside linebacker.
See you tomorrow,
Joanna