Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Cure is Worse than the Sickness Sometimes

All three of the kids have been battling a cold for the past couple of weeks. I took them all in last Wednesday and only Andrew had a sinus infection. The colds have been lingering and finally on Monday I called the doctor back for some antibiotics for Zane and Lucy. I am pretty sure they both have sinus infections (nice lime green snot) so even though medicine for everyone is not my idea of a good time, I really don't want to deal with sick ones while we are on vacation.


The doctor prescribed augmentin for all three of the kids. Andrew can't stand the taste of it but Zane and Lucy both seem to suck it down. Thank goodness for flavoring in medicine!!! We have about 8 days left of it and I can't wait until it is done.



One of the main side effects of the augmentin is an upset tummy and diarrhea. Well, Andrew and Lucy have avoided any serious issues but my poor Zane is another story all together. Zane has had an easily upset tummy all his life (heat makes him miserable) and this medicine is doing a doozy on him! Yesterday I think the poor little man raced to the potty at least 8 times. Plus we had to change underwear twice. Totally sad. He doesn't seem to feel terrible but he just keeps having to go. He calls it dia-reba which is totally cute if you don't think about what he is really talking about. I have been feeding him yogurt left and right to try and toughen up the guts and he seems a bit better today. I just hope this doesn't last for the whole time he is on antibiotics. The sad thing is that I know the medicine is working for his poor sinuses because he has far less snot and he seems to be breathing better. Plus all the coughs in the house have stopped. It is nice and I am really ready for everyone to feel better!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do you leave for vacation? We have had 2 vacations with sick kiddos so I know how you feel trying to get everyone better in a hurry. Hey, take care of you and Eric as well. Sick grown-ups aren't fun on vacation either!!!

Little Blessings said...

We leave on the 24th. Eric and I have had colds but the kids are definitely worse. They should be done with the meds a few days before we leave so hopefully any and all residual effects will have been worked out.

Kelly said...

Pump in the yogurt! And cut out milk as much as possible till they are done. Milk and the skitters don't mix. Poor kids, I am glad the Dr gave them antibiotics. I hate when you know they need them and they won't give them!

Little Blessings said...

The kids pediatrician is really good. I am not one to really push getting antibiotics but she had said that if they didn't get better within the next 3 or 4 days I should call. Well, I waited and Lucy and Zane were so grumpy that I figured it had to be a sinus infection. So I called. I was just glad that she didn't make me take them back in. Saved me an office visit co-pay!