Saturday, March 14, 2009

Not Miss Manners!

Miss Lucy and I have been at war for the past few days. I feel it is important that she starts to learn how to say (sign) please. This is something I did with the boys and they responded very positively to it. Generally getting them in the habit of saying please is pretty easy. You just keep asking them to say it until it becomes like second nature and then when they actually speak everyone is impressed with their wonderful manners. I usually ask them for the sign when they want some more crackers or milk or up on my lap. Miss Lucy though does not feel like she needs to be polite. She will stand and scream at me until she is all worked up but she will NOT sign please. The logical thing to do would be to help her do the sign and then pick her up. The only problem with that is she acts like you are ripping her arm off when you grab it to do the sign. She totally stiffens her arm and refuses to bend it plus she falls on the floor in a heap and screams. I don't really want to hurt her so I usually do this a couple of times until she lets her arm be slightly pliable enough to bend and force into the sign. Then I pick her up. Usually by this time almost 10 minutes of screaming have occurred and she has gotten herself totally worked up. But miss stubborn pants WILL learn manners. Just somebody please send me a crate of tylenol. I think I am going to need it!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I am fighting a very similar battle, and strangely with the same sign! I am also frustrated with the way he goes from zero to pissed in 2.3 seconds! Good Luck! I know YOU will win in the end!

Ms. Leigh said...

She obviously does not know who she is messing with ;)

Sounds like you have a mini sam on your hands :)

Little Blessings said...

Zane was the same way. ALthough I think we started earlier with him. And no, she doesn't realize who she is messing with. ;) I don't give up all that easily!