Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Little Scholar!

Just because Andrew is in Kindergarten doesn't mean that he doesn't have homework. Even though it is voluntary, not graded and just for the kids if they get bored. I try to get him to do some of the assignments throughout the week because I figure it is good for him. Plus he doesn't really mind the extra work. To him it is kinda fun.

The one area that I really have to encourage him is in his writing. It is by far his least favorite activity and it is also the one that he periodically misses out on due to his speech therapy. When I asked him last week about how he seems to miss a lot of writing/journal time in class he just got this sneaky smile on his face and said he didn't mind because it wasn't his favorite. AHA! That just means that this mommy is going to make you do it at home to kinda make up for it.

I did mention it to his teacher that he always seems to be missing writing and she has since then changed the class schedule around so he is not always missing it.

One of his homework assignments this week was to read a book, write out the title and say what was different and what was the same about the characters in the story. Andrew did a FABULOUS job of it. I couldn't be more proud! I will tell you that the name of the book was Dot, Sam and Tig and see if you can figure the rest of the words out. Most are spelled like they sound, a la "Hooked on Phonics" style. If you get totally stuck though I will help you out!



The second homework assignment that I had him do this week was a math problem. The problem was if there are three mommy kangaroos and they all have a baby kangaroo in their pouch, how many kangaroo's total. He needed to draw a picture and write a math sentence to go with it. The little stinker is totally getting math and he had the answer before he even drew anything. I made him do the whole assignment though just for practice.


Ok, I think my mommy pride has been officially exhausted for the moment. It is just so much fun watching him learn all this new stuff and see how all the wheels turn in his head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew is Awesome!!! I love the pictures of the kangaroos.

Kelly said...

I love his writing. I can't believe how well he is already writing! I love the Kangaroos! Too cute! You have every right to be bursting with pride!