Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I Wonder Who Was More Upset?

Went to work in Andrew's kindergarten class today. I can't believe I only have one more week to help and then he will have his graduation ceremony! The year really has flown. Anyway, while I was there I had complete confirmation that I am not crazy when it comes to Andrew's sensitivity. Some kids were playing with the magic screen (the projector machine) by waving their hands under it and watching it on the screen. Apparently this is a no-no in class and by this time they all should know it. Andrew was one of the kids participating in this naughtiness. Well, his teacher reprimanded them all and mentioned that they MAY need some "think time" which is her version of a time-out in class. I think the rest of the kids just agreed to behave and then mellowed out without going to their seats (which was fine, "think time" was just a suggestion) Andrew however went back to his seat with a crumpled face and tried to pull himself together.

I didn't get involved because I didn't see all that had happened and frankly his teacher was not at all cross and even if she was Andrew was doing something that was against the class rules and he knows better. She blazed after Andrew to tell him that he was fine but he shook his head and kept sitting at his seat. I don't think I have ever seen a teacher look so upset. She was about bawling herself. She asked me if that is how he always responds when he does something naughty and I told her no, just when it is someone he adores and doesn't want to disappoint. She said that she never would be able to get after him if that is how he always responded. As she walked back to the group I called after her to see if she was going to be ok. Funny lady, she said no! She said she would think about it all day. She knew that he was sensitive (I have mentioned it over and over) but she never knew how much. Sigh.

One of these days Andrew will toughen up a bit. Although I can't really hate the fact that he is sensitive. It is so nice to be able to gently correct and not feel like I am talking to a brick wall. Now I will just be praying for his 1st grade teacher to be sweet and gentle like he has this year. I don't know what he would do if he had one that was harsh!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Poor little guy! I think it's sweet he cares about his teacher's opinion so much. He will grow a thicker skin someday, the world will see to that. He will be a great husband though, women love sensitive guys!

Little Blessings said...

Indeed they do!