Monday, June 1, 2009

Making a Boring Dinner Fun!

My kids adore Aebleskivers for dinner. If you just said "excuse me?" then you obviously have not been introduced to these delightful things commonly known as Pancake Puffs. (at least in my house that is what they are commonly known as) If you are anything like me, you find something easy to make for dinner that preferably does not involve the oven on hot days. Something like pancakes. Tonight that meal was Aebleskivers and egg puffs. I didn't get a picture of the egg puffs but if you can imagine scrambled eggs in a ball form you have just about got it.

These were always a fun treat when I was growing up and my mom kindly got me a pan of my own for mother's day. The first time I made them I made a single batch and they were completely gone. Tonight I made a double batch and 4 eggs worth of the egg puffs and all but one pan full of the puffs were gone. Those will make a fabulous breakfast for the kids tomorrow.


Andrew is by far my huge eater when it comes to these. Tonight I lost count as to how many he ate but I am sure it was close to 10 or12. Plus some egg puffs. To give you an idea of how much batter that is, a quarter of a cup will usually fill 2 wells. So that was about a cup and a half of pancake batter. CRAZY! Oh, and the kids love to eat them with jelly in the middle and powdered sugar on top. Eric tried them with honey tonight and they were quite delish that way too!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Is it special pancake batter or just regular? Where do you get the pan?

Little Blessings said...

The batter is a special recipe that my mom gave me but you can use just regular pancake batter. I think you can find the pans in specialty stores and I have found them at camping supply stores too. I am not positive where my mom got mine though. I just know she got hers when she was really young. Oh and the package that my pan came in had lots of different recipes too. I will have to try some of them out for sure.

Anonymous said...

Those look so yummy!