Tuesday, June 23, 2009

T-Ball Party


This weekend Andrew had his t-ball party. It has taken me a few days to post this info because I was incredibly annoyed with the whole thing. Hopefully I will manage to relate the event without too much cynicism. After much discussion and confusion it was decided that the party would be at Alfy's in Lake Stevens. No problem. Almost all parties are at Alfy's these days so that was not unusual. We had kicked in our money for the party and the trophy and all was well. A couple of days before the party we got an e-mail telling us that the kids pizza and pop would be included but parents and families had to fend for themselves. Once again, no big deal. So the day rolls around and I call ahead for our pizza. The party was set for 1 and that is WAY late for us to eat lunch so I knew that if I didn't have food to throw at my little ones the second I walked through the door I would have a meltdown on my hands. Plus Alfy's is always busy with birthday parties and such on the weekends.

Off we go to the restaurant. We got to the place and I go to pay for my pizza. As I am paying the team mom walks up to the counter to ORDER. Why was that not done ahead of time? When it comes to little people it is pretty standard. Cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza and maybe Hawaiian. Then, THEN! she tells me that she didn't realize that Alfy's had half price pizza until 2! WHAT??? Who in this area of Washington doesn't realize that? And since they were having half price pizza until 2 they had plenty of money to get pizza for everyone! Thanks a bunch! My pizza was not only already ordered but sitting on the counter waiting for me. So I told her I had called ahead and ordered and not to worry about us. I then asked her what side of the party room we were in so we could go sit down. I then received shocking news. Apparently she didn't reserve the party room and we were just going to sit wherever. Ok what? At some Alfy's that would work. At the one in Lake Stevens..... not so much. The seating is horrible. It is actually getting to be kinda a problem for Eric, the kids and I to get a table that will fit all of us. All the spots are booths and small booths at that. Why would you plan a party for a t-ball team of at least 12 kids (and all their family) in an area where there is barely room for 12 people? I couldn't believe it. We ended up sitting on the other side of the restaurant (all the booths on the side they were sitting were taken). Who doesn't reserve the party room at Alfy's? Seriously!

Anyway, we ate our pizza, Andrew got his trophy and certificate and we went home. That was it. No cake or cupcakes or anything. At least the trophy is cute. That was the one redeeming factor of the whole thing. I ended up taking Zane out to the van after just a little bit because he threw an enormous tantrum in the middle of the party. Not that anyone could really hear him. We were on the other side of the restaurant you know. Hopefully this will be the only time this type of thing happens. I have no desire to be a team mom but man! Was a reservation and some communication that hard?

5 comments:

Ms. Leigh said...

WOW is all I can say...
Even if she didn't know they sell half priced pizza until 2, she should know they take EVERYONES coupons and had a stack for the party.. OR She should have known that if you RESERVE a room you get half priced pizza anyway. And she SHOULD have reserved the room a few months ago...

Kelly said...

Crazy! She should have investigated a little more. It sounds like she wasn't even trying! Who doesn't know Alfy's has 1/2 price pizza!? The trophy is adorable!

Little Blessings said...

I know! Seriously! I posted and then realized that it still was quite cynical. Although Eric was even more annoyed than I was about the whole thing. And you can tell I am annoyed right ;)

Eric said...

Annoyed.. I spent my hard earned money on half priced pizza that I did not need to. I tried taking the pizza the team bought, but Sam would not let me.

Anonymous said...

It has taken me a few days (okay weeks) to catch up on blogs. I feel your annoyance, I too just had a horrible softball party experience. After the first few kind of bomb, you get used to it. At least you had yummy Alfy's pizza. I would kill for Alfy's right about now.