Friday, June 26, 2009

Birthday Party=Pinata!


To Andrew a birthday party is not a birthday party without a pinata. For the past 3 years now we have had one for his birthday. As his party is this Sunday it was time for the pinata to get made. The first year he asked for one Eric and I went the easy route and bought one. All was fine with it except that it was almost impossible for little kids to break. They are made out of cardboard boxes and frankly take a teenager to truly bust them open. Plus they are not cheap! Last year we made our own pinata for his party and it was much easier for the little ones to break unassisted.

This year Andrew wanted a Bolt themed party. And Bolt like the Disney movie, not something you get at the hardware store. We are truly terrible about letting our kids see new release movies so when he saw it on vacation he thought it was new. Unfortunately it wasn't and the stuff for the party was difficult to come by. I found some. Just paid more than I wanted to for it. But you are only 6 once right? And the rest of his party is relatively low key and I make most everything for it myself. Anyway. The pinata is supposed to be a black disc with a green lightening bolt on it. I tried. I don't know that Andrew will be terribly satisfied with it but the darn things only last about 5 minutes before they are busted open. We shall see how he responds in the morning. Last year I made a speed racer helmet and he had some other looking helmet in mind. Too bad buddy. When this mom is working with a balloon and paper mache you get what you get.

I am starting to really wonder how many more years I will be making pinatas though. They take a lot of time and effort for such a short satisfaction time of breaking them. I guess I will make them as long as he keeps asking for them. As long as the rest of the kids don't jump on this pinata bandwagon we will be ok. Otherwise I see a lot of time with tissue paper in my future!

4 comments:

Ms. Leigh said...

I can't wait to see it! You'll have to teach me how sometime.
Also, I am so glad you posted the day of the party,I couldn't remember and find the date! :)
On a positive note, I got his present last weekend.
Way early for me these days.

Kelly said...

I think it looks great! You are a super mom for even trying!

Little Blessings said...

It really isn't too hard. Just ridiculously time consuming. The hardest part is thinking of something that can translate into a balloon shape :)

Eric said...

Thanks for leaving out your assistant that did most of the work... and Rocky!!!