Monday, June 2, 2008

Two Wheelin'

As though our day had not been exciting enough, we decided to add one more big event to it. Andrew learned to ride his bike without any training wheels! (although the learning is still in progress) We were out playing with bikes and I asked Andrew if he wanted his training wheels off. He said yes so I took them off. (Yes, I did use tools. Hopefully his tires won't fall off) Then we started the work to get him able to go. He has really good balance so I figured that would only take a little bit to get the hang of. I was right. The balance isn't the issue. Pedaling is. He forgets to pedal and when he does remember he forgets to steer and he ends up running into things. Someday all the pieces will come together I am sure. Then watch out! He will be ready to go!

Andrew did a great job riding but toward the end he got tired and his balance got off. Even when he fell (for the most part) he was having too much fun to cry. The last run that we did Andrew crashed into the truck in the driveway and smashed his face against the hub cap. That was a big cry and the end of riding for the day.

Eric was a little bit peeved that I had taken the training wheels off without him being there. He was busy putting brakes on my van and got home just minutes after I started working with Andrew. So we got some pictures of the first day of riding. Otherwise there wouldn't have been any. It is hard to be photographer and bike balance/runner at the same time. One thing or the other was bound to get forgotten. So it is good that Eric got home when he did. He will get to work with Andrew more on the bike in the next few days I am sure!

3 comments:

Ms. Leigh said...

I love he had a token truck hit. Every good rider has to run into a parked vehicle. He is on his way!
That bike looks tiny though!

Little Blessings said...

It is a pretty small bike. He can fully touch the ground though which is a good thing at this point. I told him that you and Travis would be so proud since you two are into biking. Andrew decided that he wanted to go over to your house and ride down your hill! I can see the ambulance coming now!

Kelly said...

The lower the bike the better at this point. Good Luck Andrew!