Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Doing the Trek

Yesterday we travel down to Eatonville to go to Northwest Trek with our friends Chris and Mandy and their little guy Owen. Northwest Trek was running a deal that kids got in free with a paying adult so we were all over that type of adventure! Along with the kids get in free deal was a scavenger hunt where you were looking for Food, Shelter, Water and Space (Living Space I am guessing). You had to mark off a certain amount of boxes of each one. The kids each had a sheet and they ran around and got the boxes marked off. Each paper had an animal on it as well and their were "predators" around the park who the kids were supposed to ask if they were wild animals. If they were and they ate what the kids animals were then they lost a life. Zane was a grasshopper and Andrew was a pygmy rabbit. They only ran into one creature, a bobcat, who ate them both. At the end of the day they got a prize if they had any lives left.

The game was lots of fun and actually made Eric and I think that we should put something like that together for the next time we go to the zoo.

As you can probably tell it was FREEZING! I don't know that the temperature got over 40 degrees at all. Lucy was not excited about being in the stroller but it is awfully hard to slow down to a 13 month olds pace. Plus if I am going to have her walking in that type of weather real shoes are necessary. But I digress. After Lucy finally fell asleep in the stroller we went and looked at the rest of the animals (first thing we did was the tram that takes you through the whole park). We saw lots of animals, although most of them were sleeping. Not a bad idea in that type of weather!

I got a couple of good pictures. Most of the antlered families have shed them for the year but we did catch this big bull elk just begging for his picture to be taken. If you haven't been to Northwest Trek I definitely recommend it. But pick a warmer day for goodness sake!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

That looks like SO much fun! I really want to go now when I am there. I can't wait! Andrew looks so cute with his paper and Zane looks fired up for adventure!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to go back. Chris and I are going to buy a membership. Thanks for coming down!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you all had a blast! I am bummed that we never went there...maybe when we visit sometime.

Ms. Leigh said...

Travis has been wanting us to do this for a long time. I didn't know you road a tram. This makes it much more fun in my eyes. I feared it was a place that you drive through and the animals eat your car.

Oh and he said it is nothing like Animal Kingdom's safari ride. I was sad to hear there is no crazy story line about poachers. SIGH...

It does look like fun though!

joanna said...

Sounds like fun! I loved seeing all the pictures. We will definitely be doing this sometime soon!
Joanna