Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mommy's Day To ME!!!


As a rare treat you will get a picture of me! Eric wanted me to show off the bare belly. Since I didn't even do that when I was pregnant with Andrew and the stretch marks were fresh, I told him no way! Anyway, the kids, Eric and I got up this morning and went to church, then went out to eat at our very favorite Chinese food restaurant. Then I came home and took a nap. All in all a wonderful mother's day! They got me a new waffle iron too. A round one this time, which I have wanted but have been too cheap to get to replace the square one we got for our wedding. I managed to melt a spatula against the old one this year and it makes a nasty smell when we use it. So it was a wonderful dual purpose purchase. Present for me and replaced something that needs to get chucked. Plus the non-stick doesn't work too hot on my old machine. I think we may have to have waffles this week to test the new one out.

As I thought about mother's day this week, one thought kept popping into my head. Even more than a day for me to honor my mom and have my kids love on me a bit (which is all wonderful). I think of mother's day as a day for me to once again renew my commitment to being the very best mom I am able to be. I am not so arrogant to think that simply by giving birth I get to claim the title of mom because many women become mom's by various other methods and means. Rather I think of becoming a mom as a commitment to doing the very best I can for the children God has decided to bless me with. I do not take them for granted and I do take my role as mom very seriously. I do not want to float through this period of time while they grow and develop and hope that they turn out well. I want to take an active role in the process to bring out the very best God has given them the ability to be. I think I have been giving my babies as a gift that I need to determine to cherish each and every day. Good days and bad days. And there are plenty of both. My being a mom is a commitment and a choice that I make freely and I thank God for giving me the opportunity to continue to grow along with my little blessings!

I hope all my fellow mommies out there have had a wonderful day with their own little blessings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous day! What a great picture!

Kelly said...

Lucy is such a Ham! Too cute! I love new kitchen appliances.