Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fishing at Lake Tye

Eric, the kids and I went to Lake Tye in Monroe for their annual kids fishing day. A local fishing club (can't remember which one, sorry) nets off a section of the lake and overstocks it with trout. This makes the fish super eager to bite and lets all the kids get the excitement of catching a fish. We went to the lake after church so the event was almost done. I got a little concerned that maybe they were all fished out but I shouldn't have worried. Eric took care of the boys (baiting lines and casting them) and I got to take care of Lucy. I first thought that I would just have to keep her from drowning herself in the lake but I soon realized that the shoreline was full of bits of Powerbait and some fish guts. Not exactly what I want my girl to play with or put in her mouth. So, I got to corral her on my lap. She was none too pleased with it either. The boys were having all the fun with daddy and she wanted a piece of the action too!


As I expected, Zane lasted only about 10 minutes of fishing before he wanted to come and sit on my lap. The kids next to us on either side kept pulling fish out of the water and I started to get a bit nervous that we were not going to catch anything and have to take home two (three if you count Eric) super disappointed boys! I shouldn't have worried though because soon enough Andrew caught his first fish.

Well, watching your brother catch a fish is absolutely no fun so after Eric got Andrew's fish off the line Zane wanted back in the game.

Eric rebaited Andrew's hook and was getting Zane's ready to go back into the water when lo and behold Andrew caught another one!!! Well, the limit for each kid was 2 fish so Eric got Andrew all finished up so he could focus on Zane. For whatever reason the fish seemed to like Andrew's pole the best so they stuck with that one. About 3 minutes later Zane was reeling in his first fish and it was a doozy!

Now that both boys had caught something we decided to call it a day. We went and got our fish weighed (2# 14 ounces for the 3 fish) and then stood in line to have the nice gentlemen clean them for us. They were significantly faster than we would have been at home! Plus we didn't have to worry about Calvin trying to eat the fish guts.

All in all, a great day of fishing and family bonding. Next year I think we are going to bring a lunch though. By the time we got done we were all starving and raw trout didn't appeal to any of us. Now to cook them for dinner tonight. If the kids take more than one bite I will be impressed. Eric is going to have a LOT of trout to eat!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Super Cool! I can't wait to hear if the kids actually ate it or not. Next year Lucy will be in on the action I'm sure!

Little Blessings said...

They did eat the fish. At least some of it. I am sure the only reason they ate it is because they caught it. We had salmon about 4 days ago and you would have thought they were being forced to eat dog food they way they were carrying on. Zane liked it more than Andrew but I think Andrew gets the fact that if he catches it, we are going to make him eat it. And you are right about Lucy. There is no way she is going to be left out next year!!!

Mandy said...

Even though fishing isn't my thing, it looked like a fun day! Glad you guys had a good time. And I'm glad they ate the fish :)