Monday, September 8, 2008

Another Minnow in the Family

Tonight Zane had his very first swimming lesson! He was so excited to go. He has very patiently sat and watched Andrew complete lesson after lesson for almost 2 years now. Finally his time has arrived. I was a little concerned that he would be one of those kids in the water, out of the water every 30 seconds. He really surprised me. He stayed in the pool the whole time and chatted up his teacher a whole bunch. He is in a class with all girls too. Rebbecca a little girl in his Sunday school class was also there. It was her first class today too.

Zane trying to back float

As was to be expected Zane was nervous about putting his head back into the water. This is usual for a first timer in class. I think it has something to do with being worried about your face going under. Even with his head on the teachers shoulder he was still pretty stiff. He will get it in time. Andrew took the Preschool 1 level 5 times before passing so Zane has a lot of lessons to go I am sure.

After the lesson I discovered the one thing I had forgotten. Was it dry clothing? a towel? a new diaper? No, those are all the things I remembered. I forgot to feed the boy a snack before class and lets just spell out that equation. Hungry Boy+ No Nap+ Didn't get to Push the Emergency Exit Button= Enormous Temper Tantrum. I don't remember the last time I have seen him that out of control upset. I will remember a snack for the next lesson. The whole hungry part was a big bad on me. I can't fully blame him. I just know I do not want a repeat of that tantrum anytime in the near future.

All in all swimming was a success! I am so excited to see him on Wednesday do some more and I know he is excited too!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Way to go Zane! Hey Sam, can you find out what kind of routine Joanna does with her cloth diapers? I am having a detergent build up issue and I am sure she could help me....

Little Blessings said...

No problem! I will let you know!

Little Blessings said...

Ok, Joanna said that she does a cold rinse and then a super hot wash. She also mentioned that when she uses too much detergent she gets a whole lot of build up. Apparently there is a recipe for homemade detergent that she uses and it works great. First trick to try is to just wash the diapers without any detergent and check them to see if they are sudsy. If they are then a couple of rounds of just washing without detergent should help them out. I don't remember what type of diapers you have but you can look them up on line for cleaning directions. Apparently each brand has its own theory on cleaning.

I had cloth with Andrew and all I did was a cold rinse (30 min), hot wash and then a second separate hot rinse (30 min). I don't remember mine getting too super stinky but I also always used Borax with my wash and I used very little detergent. Hope that helps! Oh I will Facebook you Joanna's e-mail if you want to get in touch with her directly!

Kelly said...

Thanks, I would love to know her detergent recipe. I think I use too much soap....

Little Blessings said...

I don't know exactly what it is but she mentioned Borax, Laundry Soap and that it was super goopy. I will see if she can send me the exact recipe!