Wednesday, October 29, 2008

School Conferences with No News


Today we had conferences for Andrew. As we expected his teacher said that he has no problems and seems to be having a wonderful time. She retested the students this year, he understands his prepositions (in, above, below etc.), he can recognize all the letters (upper and lower case), he knows what sounds the majority of the letters make and he can recognize numbers up to 30 (as high as she tested them). She told Eric and I that we had done and great job getting him ready for kindergarten. I think that Andrew is just a natural learner though and is very driven personally to understand. We talked some about his speech and we do not have an action plan yet. Apparently the speech therapist has yet to send a report to the teacher. We obviously haven't gotten one yet either. What came as the biggest surprise to me was how confident Andrew is in school. Not only in the classroom but socially as well. He is very comfortable and confident with himself. His teacher commented on it and how great it was. Apparently a self confident kid reflects a good job by us. My one question was if he seemed to have problems getting other kids to understand him because I know sometimes even adults can't fully understand what he is saying (if I am honest I can't all the time either). His teacher said that he never seems bothered or embarrassed by it. He just says that word is a little tricky for me. Which of course comes out sounding like: Vat word is a yittle fricky for me. It is a wonder they can understand his explanation LOL! The recess lady was in the room working too and she said she has seen no problems on the playground either. That is a relief to me! All in all it was a great report! Oh, and last night we went to a literacy night at school and Andrew and Zane went to listen to the story time. Andrew's teacher saw how sweet both boys were and she said she can't wait for Zane to start school too! Eric and I laughed and said that he can be just as sweet but a bit more of a stinker!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

LOL! I died with that tastelessly written quote! I always kinda think kids with speech impediments are cute. I am glad he has such good self esteem and easily deals with the issue. I am so glad he loves school, I really think that kids and parents miss out when they don't go to school. It gives you some outside feedback on your kid as others see them. I hope you get the action plan soon!