Monday, October 27, 2008

Speech Therapy?

As many of you know already my Andrew has a difficult time with several consonants when he talks. When we went in for our kindergarten registration he was screened by the speech pathologist and she told us then that she would be checking back in with him in the fall before conferences. I have been asking and asking his teacher if she has come in to see him yet and she kept saying no. Finally the speech lady said that she never told me she would be checking in. It was up to us to request it. Ahhhhhh! I was frustrated especially since this week is conferences. However, Andrew came home today talking about how he got to go to some ladies room and play games with letters. AHA! I think all my asking and keeping track of it has paid off. Today was Andrew's last day of school for the week (no kindergarten during the rest of conference week) and I am hoping there will either be a Hooray he is fine (not super likely) or a game plan on what he needs to work on. He struggles with several sounds but one huge one was the letter L and it seems to be kinda coming around. Words with an L in them kinda come out funny but he still is saying it much better than he was before. Anyway I will keep you all posted about it but I am glad that something may be done. I just don't want to let it wait when early intervention may save him from some teasing in the future!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jordynn went through speech therapy too. It is awesome that most schools do what they can to help when the kids are young enough to fully benefit from it! I am sure that they will come up with a great plan for Andrew.

Kelly said...

Jason and I both went through speech therapy and both remember it fondly. I got rainbow stamps every week and a smiley face sticker. I'm sure they will help him a lot and he will never have a problem!